The hiking in Wind River Range 2014 part 2

Phase 2


ペギーの車が来た。9:00ホテル出発、9:40 Boulder Lk.出発。名前の通り、岩山が多い。緩い単調な登りが続く。ハイカーは一人もいない。11:40ランチ。ゆっくりして出発、16:00 Ethel Lake テント設営。大きなトラウトが泳いでいた。人影なし。

Peggy's car came our hotel at 9:00. We arrived at Boulder Lk at 9:40. There are many rocky mountains as its name indicated. The monotonous easy ascent continued. We met no hiker. Lunch at 11:40.  We started slowly,  and pitched our tent at Ethel Lk. at 16:00. Several big trout were swimming. No one.


6:00起き、ホテルのマフィン、食パン、チーズ、マンゴーの朝食。千恵子が喉の痛みを訴える。風邪がうつったらしい。8:00出発、11:40 Lake Vera ランチ。Lake Susanとの間に巨大Boleteが山ほどある。幾つか採ると、とたんに重くなった。14:30 Lake Susanでテント設営。千恵子がBoleteをスライスし、天日干しにする。夕食には沢山のBoleteを炒めてパルメザンチーズを加えた。前菜だけでお腹がいっぱいになった。メインは少なめにした。

I woke up at 6:00. The breakfast was the leftover of the muffin and bread of the hotel,  cheese, and a mango. Chieko felt the pain of throat. She seemed to catch a cold. We started to hike at 8:00, took lunch at Lake Vera at 11:40.  We found lots of King Boletes between Lake Vera and Lake Susan. My wife took several Boletes, my backpack became heavy. I pitched our tent at Lake Susan at 14:30. My wife sliced and dried Bolete.  For dinner, I stir-fried much Bolete, and added Parmesan cheese. My stomach became full only with the appetizer. I lessened the main dish


6:00 起き、何時もの朝食、8:15出発、曇り。9:45 Full Moon Lake, 休憩、ココアを飲む。Ribz Frontのジッパーのストッパーが吹き飛ぶ。瞬間接着剤を使ったが、間違ってジッパーを固めてしまった。フロントはカラビナだけで接続して使うことにした。10:00 Junction Lake, キャンプ地として素晴らしい。12:35 Dream Lake ランチ、素晴らしい景色だが、トレイルが時々消える。Raid Lake までGPSを使って数キロクロスカントリーする。この二日、誰とも会わない。と、いきなり、フレームパックを担いだ女性と会った。遠くから日本人だろうと声をかけられた。ミゲルMigelという人で、20年ほど前に日本に一ヶ月滞在したことがあるという。お好み焼きが好物で、今も時々作っているという。フレームパックはボロボロで40年物。この近くでキャンプしているが、今日は一人でハイキングという。私はこの辺りの水をそのまま飲むが浄水器を持っているかと聞かれたので、すべて浄水して飲むと答えた。キャンプはCross Lake辺りと決めて進んだが、時々、雷がなる。手前に小さな湖があり、天気が怪しいのでテントを張る。すぐに雨になった。水を確保したが、ものすごく濁っていた。しばらくして動物の鳴き声、初めはコヨーテかと思ったが、鳴き声は羊。しばらくすると、近くの丘が羊で覆われた。100頭はいただろう。後で気づいたが、この辺りは羊の放牧地だった。天気は崩れたが、Boleteの前菜を含む豊かな夕食をとった。(この時からカメラの設定が狂い、まともな写真がない。カメラに慣れないMigelさんが変えてしまった可能性が強い)

I woke up at 6:00, the usual breakfast. We started to hike at 8:15 cloudy weather.  We took a short break and drunk cocoa at Full Moon Lake at 9:45. The stopper of the zipper of Ribz Front blew away. Since I used the quick-drying super glue bad way, I could not move the zipper. I decided to connect front packs only by the carabiner. We passed Junction Lake at 10:00, it was wonderful campsite.  We ate lunch at Dream Lake at 12:35. It was wonderful place, but the trail sometimes disappeared. I did cross-country for  several kilometers using GPS to Raid Lake. We met nobody for these two days. But I heard the woman who carried a frame pack calling me. She identified us as Japaneses from a distance. I spoke to her when we came near. Her name was  Migel. She said she had stayed in Japan for one month about 20 years ago. She loved Okonomi-yaki ( as-you-like-it Japanese pancake) and sometimes still making it. Her frame pack was tattered, 40 years old thing. She was camping near here, just did solo hike today. She asked me whether I had a water filter,  although she drunk the water of this neighborhood without filtering. I answered I always filtered all the water. We had decided to camp near Cross Lake, and we hiked further.  Thunder came. There was a small lake, and the weather turned badly.  I pitched our tent quickly.  It began to rain immediately. The water of the lake was extremely muddy.  We heard a coyote-like cry. but it was the cries of many sheeps.  After a while, the nearby hill was covered by the sheeps. Probably, 100 or more sheeps were. We knew later that this neighborhood was the grazing land of the sheep.  Although the weather changed badly,  we took the rich supper including the appetizer of Bolete. (A setup of a camera was out of order from this time, and there was a  possibility that Ms. Migel unfamiliar to a camera had changed the setting.).

6:00起き、何時もの朝食、8:00出発。Cross Lake に流れ込む川はSheep Creekというが、その意味がわかった。この辺り、Sheepだらけ。10:30 ツナサラダでブランチ。所々、トレースがなくなるトレイルだった。Fremont トレイル(CDT)に合流すると、トレイルは明瞭。高原状の峠からCirqueのとがった山々が明瞭に見えてきた。徒渉があり、岩も何もなし。ブーツのまま入り、ネオプレーンの靴下に履き替えた。15:00 Pyramid Lake Trailとのjunctionに到達。見覚えのある場所。テント設営。離れた所に釣りの家族もテントを張った。雨。夕食はBoleteの炒め物、野菜とスモークチキンのリゾット、仕上げにパルメザンチーズの細切れをのせると非常に美味しい。ジャガイモとツナのサラダも。

We wake up at 6:00 and took usual breakfast. We started to hike at 8:00. I knew the reason that the the river which flowed into Cross Lake was called Sheep Creek. At 10:30 we ate tuna salad. It might be a brunch. In some places, no trace existed.  Fremont trail was became clear near the junction of CDT. We could look the Cirque clearly from the high pass. There was a fording points, and no rocks. I walked into the river with boots and changed the wet socks to the neoprene socks. We reached the junction with Pyramid Lake Trail at 15:00. The familiar place. I pitched our tent. The family who were fishing also pitched the tent to the distant place. Rain. Dinner was very delicious when the powder of Parmesan cheese was put on the stir-fried dishes of Bolete, vegetables, smoked chicken, and rice. We also ate the tuna and potato salad.

6:00 起き、何時もの朝食。曇り。天気は下り坂。躊躇したが、一応、Hailey Passを目指すことにした。8:40 Skull Lk、曇りから雨になった。Hailey Passに近づくと、風が強くなり、Passの時には立っていられないほどになった。千恵子は飛ばされそうになり、座りこんでしのいだ。固定していなかったパックカバーは吹き飛ばされ、はるか彼方へ飛んでいった。逆方向から登ってきたハイカーは3名。彼らも必死だった。標高を100mくらい下げると一息つけた。川沿いに下るが、増水していた。昨年の記憶とGPSを頼りに下る。徒渉の後、雪になった。無理は禁物なので13:40 Grave Lakeの傍にテント設営。天気予報がわからない。inReachでOutdoor Shopに問い合わせた。この先、Lizard Head Trailを経てBig Sandy Lodgeに行きたいが、Lizard Head Trailは高原のトレイルで半日は吹きさらしになる。Big Sandy Lodgeに予約を入れているので、二日も停滞はできない。たっぷりの夕食をとり、明日の天気で判断することにした。

We wake up at 6:00 and took usual breakfast. Cloudy.  The weather was began to bad. I hesitated, but decided to go to Hailey Pass. It began to rain near Skull Lk. at 8:40. When we approached Hailey Pass, the wind became so strong that we cannot stand at the Pass. We were likely to be blown away. I sat down after the pass and waited Chieko. My pack cover  was blown away and flew to the very far place. I met three hikers who approached from the opposite direction. They were also struggling desperately. When we hike down around 100 meters, we felt safe. We went down on the riverside. The river was swollen.  I walked further according to the last summer's memory and GPS.  It began to snow after the fording. I pitched our tent near the Grave Lake side at 13:40. I did not know the weather forecast.  I asked Great Outdoor Shop by inReach. I wanted to go to Big Sandy Lodge through Lizard Head Trail, which was exposed to the wind for half a day. Since I made reservation of  Big Sandy Lodge, two days stagnation was impossible.  I took the big meal and decided to judge by tomorrow's weather.

夜の間、雨が続いた。風も強い。6:15に起きる。後にGreat Outdoor Shopから8/22と8/23は雨で8/24 は晴れという天気予報を受け取ったが、山だから数日天気は悪い、すなわち、24日か25日は雨か雪と考えた。それでWashakie Passから脱出することにした。9:30 footbridge休憩、晴れてきた。ただ、この晴れ間は一時的で、再び、雨になった。11:30 Ranger Park、再び、晴れた。ランチ。13:30 Washakie Lake、テント設営。14:00 雨になった。原則として明日Washakie Pass を越えることにした。近くでBoleteを収穫。夕食は何時ものようにたっぷり。Big Sandy LodgeのナターシャにinReach でメールを出し、予約の一日前が空いているかを訪ねた。

It was raining during the night. It was windy. I woke up at 6:15. I received an email from Great Outdoor Shop later,  who said  8/22 and 8/23 would be rainy but 8/24 be fine. But we were in a mountain range, the weather would be bad several day. I thought the 8/24 and 8/25 would be rainy or snowy.  Then, I decided to escape from Washakie Pass, because Chieko was weak for strong wind and coldness. We reached footbridge and rested at 9:30. It became clear.  However, this interval of clear weather was temporary, and it began to rain again. At 11:30, it stopped raining near Ranger Park. Lunch. At 13:30 Washakie Lake. I pitched our tent at 14:00 It began to rain. I decided to to beyond  Washakie Pass tomorrow. I picked up Bolete nearby. We ate plenty of food as dinner. I sent an email to Natasha of Big Sandy Lodge by inReach, and asked whether one-day before of reservation would be vacant.

6:15 曇り、何時もの朝食。しかし、強風なので出発を見合わせた。9:00 みぞれ、10:00 みぞれと風が止んだ。一時的かもしれないが、前進することにした。10:30 出発、 11:45 Macom Lake、休憩、Probarでエネルギー補給。雪が降ってきたし、Passは白くなっていたが、強風ではない。また、風向きも左からで、問題はなかった。トレイルは途切れがちだが、昨年歩いたのですべて記憶していた。峠の手前に雪の吹きだまりがあり、蹴り込んでステップを作りながら進んだ。13:10 Washakie Pass、峠は強風なので、すぐに下山した。しばらくすると、登ってくるハイカーが3名いた。聞くとアイダホからという。14:00 風の当たらない場所で休憩、ランチとした。Washakie Passの西側は傾斜が緩く歩きやすい。すぐに元のPyramid Lake Trailに合流、16:30 Marms Lakeの広い場所にテント設営、直後に雨となった。inReachでチェックすると、Lodgeは空いているという。夕食は何時ものリゾットとツナサラダとスープ。途中で採ったキノコはBoleteではなく、破棄した。

We woke up at 6:15.  Cloudy, usual breakfast. However, since it was too windy, we postponed the departure. At 9:00. But it stopped sleet and wind at 10:00. I decided to move forward at 10:30, although it might be temporary. We took a short rest at Macom Lake, and ate energy bar at 11:45.
Although it had snowed and Pass was covered by snow, wind was weak, and blew from the left side. The trail  tended to disappear. But I traced exactly , because  I had memorized the last summer's walking.  The small snowpack was before the peak. I went further making steps by kick-step technique. We reached Washakie Pass at 13:10. It was very windy. We hiked down immediately. After a while, we met three hikers who were ascending. They came from Idaho. We took a short rest and took lunch at the secure place at 14:00.  The west side of Washakie Pass was easy to walk. Immediately, we reached Pyramid Lake Trail. I pitched our tent near Marms Lk. at 16:30. After that, it became rain immediately. I checked the inReach. There was a response of Natasha. There was a vacant room.  We ate lots of food in dinner. But the mushroom taken on the way is not Bolete, and we discarded.

At the Big Sandy Lodge

6:15 起き、何時もの朝食。8:00 出発、曇り。13:00 Big Sandy Lodgeに到着。誰もいないので、外でコーヒーを入れていたら、ナターシャが帰ってきた。キャビンに入る。ベットは湿っていて、快適ではない。少し干したが、無理なので、一番上にスリーピングバッグを乗せて寝ることにした。暖かいシャワーを浴びる。キャビンの前にテントを立てて乾かした。夕食は18:30から、ビュッフェ形式。メインのチキンパイは物足りなかったが、グリーンピースの煮物、新鮮な野菜のサラダなど豊富で満足した。デザートのパイはストロベリー、ブルーベリーの2種類、また、イエローピーチのケーキもあった。たっぷり食べた。宿泊客は10人程度。キャビンには薪ストーブがあったが、太い薪しかなく、きれいに燃やすのは難しかった。

食事は7:30から、パンケーキ、オートミール、ベーコン、スクランブルエッグ、ブルーベリーマフィン、果物のミックス、コーヒー、オレンジジュース、甘いケーキと盛り沢山。ビッフェ形式だが、食べきれない。昼はランチパック。これはサンドイッチ、リンゴ、チーズクラッカー、ビスケットなど。暇だからMud Lake にボートを出して遊んだ。何処にも行かなかったので、ランチパックはロッジのラウンジで受け取った。昼過ぎ、Mud Lakeを眺めていると、MichelとJennyが現れた。Michelは到着早々、残り物のパイを頬張っていた。夕方に知り合ったのはDan(デン)という犬連れの太った若者。後で聞くと、彼はワイオミング出身で、猟もしていた。スタッフではSherylは日本語が少しできた。夕食はポークステーキ、マッシュドポテト、人参、インゲン、パン、クルミのパイ(Peacom Pie)。ポークステーキは一人一枚かと思ったら、みんなが食べた後、もう一度山盛り出てきた。二枚目をとったのは自分だけだった。

朝、雨が降ったが、天気が回復した。朝食はスポンジケーキにたっぷりのフルーツなど。朝食後、ランチパックを受け取り、半日ハイキングに出かけることにした。ダイヤモンドトレイルを辿り、V LakeとDiamond Lake を見学し、Big Sandy Trailに合流し、ロッジまで戻るコースである。ほとんど誰も歩いていないのに驚いた。V Lakeは広く、Temple Peakなどが見えて、゜景色の良い所だった。昼のサンドイッチをゆっくりと食べた。Diamond Lakeは小さいが、山が傍に見えてよい場所だった。Big Sandy Trailを歩けば2時間以内にBig Sandy Lakeに着くのだが、深追いは良くないので諦めた。下っていくと、Big Sandy Lake を目指すハイカーとすれ違う。みんな釣り竿を持っていた。かなり下り、平原状の場所に来ると、誰かが手を振っている。遠いので分からない。マイケルだという声がした。平らな場所に下りて彼と再会。彼の奥さんは昼寝か釣りをしているという。ここはムースの寝床だ、草の状態で分かるという。ロッジに戻ったのは三時頃で、かなりの距離を歩いてしまった。マイケルたちは五時過ぎに帰ってきた。六時過ぎのこと、マイケルやダンたちとラウンジで過ごしていた。突然、ダンが「ヒロ、ムースだ」という。Mud Lakeの向こう岸にムースが数匹現れた。ムースが三匹、悠々と歩いてマイケルたちのキャビンに近寄り、興味深そうに覗いていた。手持ちのカメラで一応撮影はしたが、遠すぎた。夕食はチキンフライ、オートミールコーン、野菜など、クルミのパイ(Peacon Pike)で締めくくった。チキンフライは一つ大きな物を取ると、もう食べられなかった。それでも山のようにチキンが残っていた。

Big Sandy Lodgeにお別れ。朝食をたっぷり食べた後、ラウンジで待っていると9時ちょうどにPeggyが来た。慌てることもないので、雑談してから出発。雨がひどかった。林道が一本、荒野を貫いている。パインデールで休憩。預けてあった荷物を受け取り、ゆっくりと出発。ジャクソンに着いたのは昼過ぎ。ペギーがチョコレートの美味しい店があるという。チョコレートやパンが非常に美味しかった。この後、ペギーに電話がかかってきた。落ち着かない様子。聞くと、預かっていた荷物の三脚を入れ忘れたという。取りに帰り明日届けるという。意味がよく分からなかった。ただ、古い三脚で一度も使ったことがないので。不要と言った。夕方、荷物を整理していてその理由がやっと分かった。Great Outdoor ShopのFredが出版した写真集とペギーの手紙が荷物の底にこっそりと隠されていた。Fredは別れる時もポーカーフェイスだった。あきれて内気で親切な人たちだった。我々はジャクソンに二泊したが、この町には何の魅力も感じなかった。興味のない土産物店ばかりだった。近くの中華料理店は値段が高く不味かった。遠くのスーパーまで買い物に行き、こっそりと料理したし、チョコレート店にももう一度行き、お土産を買うと共にパンとコーヒーを楽しんだ。ここは最高の店だった。値段はスターバックスと変わらないが、パンもコーヒーも美味しかった。

0 件のコメント: